Complaint About America's Youth.

Dear AL:
This isn't so much a problem for which I am seeking advice as it is a complaint about America's youth. I'm talking about the poor use of the English language and especially the misuse of the word random.

You can't tell me you haven't noticed. One of the most popular phrases today is "That's so random!" Every time I hear it, I want to BLEEP that stupid 14 year old girl into a BLEEP with a dictionary. When one's friend says something such as, "I love chocolate pudding" in the middle of a conversation about red shift / blue shift theories, that is not random. This friend intentionally chose to proclaim his love for chocolate pudding, for whatever reason, thus denouncing it from being random at all. The same goes for anything that's crazy or off-the-wall. It may be crazy, or it may be off-the-wall, but it certainly is not random if the person meant to say it. The lottery is random. The 50/50 lifeline on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire is random.

My question to you, AL, is what do you say I should do to help out my community and my peers in getting rid of the abuse that this word is recieving?
-- Reagen, http://joedunraygun.blogspot.com

Dear Reagen:
Once MTV's Real World and Jackass is embedded in their heads, there is no changing them! I recommend you buy a good set of earplugs.

I bet you didn't figure I would be so Random!

12 comments:

lastlifeinmyuniverse said...

eh just ignore it. know that imbeciles exist and be thankful your not one of em.

Webmiztris said...

or she could 'randomly' start shooting people who use that phrase. ;)

The Stiltwalker said...

this dude is so 'extra'

Chuck said...

Like... You know... This reminds me of a time that was so out there... gettin played... then you know... It wasn't kosher! But I shoulda seen it coming since she was so extra, That was so random!

That damn beotch!

Anonymous said...

The dude ought to learn what "denounce" means before complaining about people misusing the word "random". :)

luckysevn said...

I've yet to hear someone say this! Maybe it hasn't made its way to my part of the world... Then again, I don't get out much...

We all have our pet peeves - mine is hearing someone say "I could care less." It's "I COULDN'T care less," people!!! Sheesh...

Staff said...

Dear God! That pic looks like my son and his girlfriend!

When my son uses the word random like that, I could ring his neck!

Vengelyne said...

Can't change something that people find is cool even if others think it's inappropriately used.

Bobealia... said...

Sorry y'all but the English language is constantly changing, so get over it. Grammar, language uses... all of it changes. In case you haven't noticed we don't all talk like "Romeo and Juliet". If you don't like it, go back under your rock.
If you want to complain about crap like this, start with the fact that people say "I did good" or "Him and Jen went to the market."

Unknown said...

I guess I'll just have to wait out my remaining year and a half of being one of them - a teenager. But people who are 20 and older are still stupid. Crap.

Anonymous said...

H3Y THEIR IS NOTHNG WRONG WIT MAH US3 OF TEH ENGLISH LANGUAEG

Ok, I quit that.:)

Anonymous said...

For some reason, blogger is posting me as anonymous.

Sorry Al!

Rose