Army recruiter wont leave me alone

Dear AL:
About a month ago I made a mistake of seeing a certain Army recruiter. After deciding not to join the Army after taking the ASVAB test which I passed with flying colors, this recruiter wont except no for an answer. He's upset for driving me to take this test, but it wasn't like he wasted gas, there were two other potential recruits who came along for the same reason. What made me change my mind? After seeing my test results, he kept stating on the ride back to his office about papers I had to sign. About 10 times, like I'll forget. When I told him my decision back in his office to go to college, he started cursing at me right off the bat, saying I had to join, so I walked out. Since then he calls me almost everyday, threatening me with jail time if I don't report to a MEP's station to enlist!

AL, I'm just starting my life. Can he really send me to jail?
-- Troubled in New York

Dear Troubled:
Taking the ASVAB test doesn't mean you're obligated to join the Army. You wont go to jail if you don't join. Beaves is lying to make his quota to maintain his appearance towards superiors.

I suggest you buy yourself one of those handy dandy digital voice recorders with a telephone recording attachment, and record him next time he calls. Don't let him in on it, let a lawyer break the news to the boy wonder. He will leave you alone, guaranteed.

Kw's: advice, criminal, deceptive, desperate, dishonest, dishonorable, false, forceful, harassment, harassed, liar, lied, misleading, oppressive, overbearing, threatening

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al... as the wife of an Air Force Recruiter, I can answer your poster very easily. 'Troubled' simply needs to call that army recruiter's station chief, and report him!! do NOT let him get away with threats! he is allowed to phone you, write letters, etc.. but to threaten jail time.. NOT ACCEPTABLE! talk about giving recruiters a bad name.. geesh!

Anonymous said...

As an Army Recruiter - I will tell you to listen to Tracie. You need to tell the "station commander" that you're done. You are not joining. I would recommend telling hims specifically that you don't care if you are a "T-N-E" spell it out. You also need to let him know that you are willing to request a "congressional inquiry" into the way you've been treated. Unfortunately it's schmucks like this that give recruiters a bad name. There are too many stories out there like this - and not enough about those who truely care about our jobs and your futures. NOTHING you sign with a recruiter puts you into any branch. You will only be enlisted AFTER you raise your right hand and "swear in." If the phone calls continue I'd call another station and ask to speak for the name and number of the company "First Sergeant." Explain to him what is going on and use those words "T-N-E" (Spell it out) and "Congressional inqury" That should chill their bones.