Should I stay friends, or call it quits?

Dear AL:
So, you say you're a problem solver. Can you please help me?

See, I have this friend of mine. We've known each other for a really long time, and lately we've begun to fight a lot. Each time we fight, I end up breaking down. I used to cut myself over this friend. [But i don't now.] He's been there for me a lot - and I used to like him - we decided to try going out, but sadly, that didn't end too well. We just had another fight recently, but I don't know this time. Should I stay friends with him, or call it quits?
Thanks - <3 , California

Dear <3:
Deep down it probably upsets him that you're both not together, but being friends for a long time doesn't mean you owe him an intimate relationship, and if he doesn't understand that, then it's best to call it quits. Some people can be friends for ages and still not know each other, and if you're both fighting now, imagine when you're together.

Friends welcome each other's company, exchange advice, show understanding, and engage in mutually helping behavior, but if he's yelling "Bitch! Give me another chance!" you have a problem. Take care of yourself, move on!

5 comments:

TheTorch said...

"Cut" Yourself ?? Like self mutilation ?? Holy Cow!

Anonymous said...

Somehow I don't think "&*$ @%^* &%#!@^*$+@" was the best phrase to use in this instance.

Dear AL said...

Oh shit! Thanks for pointing that out, Pete!

Had to edit your comment to keep her from reading it if she hasn't already.

<3, I ment you should stop seeing him. Hang out with your other friends!

lastlifeinmyuniverse said...

maybe you both just arent compatible. when two people are happy together, they should seriously call it quits. it'll suck big time now but in the long run, you both will be happier.

The Stiltwalker said...

this is so familiar. spare yourselves of get the hell away from each other, asap.